Simple Shrimp ScampiRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Whole wheat pasta creates a bit of an al dente base to this healthy Shrimp Scampi that gives any fine seafood restaurant a run for its money. Light, creamy and just as garlicky as we love it, you’ll find your beach flavor haven in a bowl. Even if you think eating shrimp scampi is too indulgent, the monounsaturated fats in the extra virgin olive oil alone are a reason to feel like you’re treating yourself. Shrimp is packed with protein and whole wheat pasta is a healthier, fiber-filled carb source.
Hint: You’ll have dinner on the table in no time at all, if you use already peeled and deveined shrimp!
Phase: Phase 2, Phase 3
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1.5 Lean Protein
- 2 Good Carbohydrates
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 1 Extras
- 8 oz. whole-wheat spaghetti or cappellini
- 3 Tbsp, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 5 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 11/2lbs. peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, in large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and pepper flakes. Bring to a simmer and cook until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 1 minute longer.
- Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until they turn pink and are just opaque in the center, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the drained pasta, shrimp mixture and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss well and serve.
- Variation : If you're on Phase 1, simply serve the shrimp on 1 cup of sauteed baby spinach and omit the pasta.
- Per serving (with spinach instead of pasta): 315 calories, 14 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 38 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 449 mg sodium