Jumbo Spicy ShrimpRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Succulent jumbo shrimp is complemented by bursts of flavor from crispy turkey bacon and juicy hot peppers to create a diet-friendly, filling dish that’s equally easy to make as it is delicious.
Whip up this Jumbo Shrimp Dish for seafood night or meal prep to grab on your way out the door for a long day at the office. This hearty meal will satisfy your seafood cravings all while keeping you on track with your healthy eating habits.
Want to lose weight enjoying tasty, low carb meals? Learn more about the South Beach Diet program >
Phase: Weight Loss Phase, Weight Maintenance Phase
- 1 Protein
- 1.5 Vegetables
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped and deseeded
- ¼ cup scallions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 can (16 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 strips turkey bacon or Canadian bacon
- 1 pound medium or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. When fiinished, place it on a paper towel to drain. Chop the bacon when it's cool. Remove and discard all but 1 tablespoon of drippings from the skillet.
- In the hot drippings over medium heat, cook the onion, chili pepper, and celery for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes (with juice) and black pepper. Heat to boiling. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and bacon and cook for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and cilantro.