Green Rice with Summer PeasRecipe posted in: Snack
Whole grain rice gets a mouthwatering makeover in this recipe for Green Rice with Summer Peas. Peppered with fresh herbs like basil and parsley, this side dish is anything but the traditional bland bed of grains.
Sweet, summer peas are a longtime vegetable favorite that bring color and added texture to the dish. We can safely say this healthy source of good carbs and fiber is a green food worth investigating.
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 4 (3/4 cup) servings
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 1 Good Carbohydrates
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking, whole grain brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh mint
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- While rice is cooking, in a blender combine water, 1 Tbsp. of the oil, basil, parsley, mint and tarragon; puree until smooth.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 tsp. oil over medium heat. Add scallions and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add snow peas and regular peas and cook 2 minutes more. Add cooked rice and stir well to combine and heat through, about 1 minute more.
- Remove rice mixture from the heat, transfer to a serving bowl and stir in the herb mixture, salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.