Eggplant and Ricotta with Whole Wheat PenneRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Pasta lovers: Get ready to have your minds blown! This delicious dish, featuring warm whole wheat penne tossed in ricotta cheese, tomatoes and eggplant, and topped with fresh parsley and basil, has all the flavor and texture of your favorite comfort food, without any of the guilt.
Making four, two-cup servings, this Whole Wheat Penne with Eggplant and Ricotta makes a perfect lunch or easy healthy dinner idea for you and the family! You can also enjoy it as a romantic dinner for two. The added eggplant makes this satisfying meal a unique and healthy option for your meal prep menu.
Looking for more delicious meals and easy healthy dinner ideas? Feast on these Zucchini Pizza Boats! >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 4 (2 cup) servings
- 1.5 Healthy Fat
- 2 Good Carbohydrates
- 3 Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 oz. whole-wheat or spelt penne
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly coat a baking pan with oil. Place eggplant in the pan, drizzle with 1 Tbsp. of the oil, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat, and spread in an even layer. Bake, stirring once, until eggplant is lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- While eggplant is roasting, cook pasta according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta, place in a large bowl, and add tomato mixture, eggplant, and cheese. Toss to combine, season with salt and pepper, and serve.