Provolone Chicken SandwichRecipe posted in: Lunch/Dinner
Who says cheese… or chicken sandwiches have to be off limits when you’re trying to lose weight? Satisfy even your strongest melted cheese cravings with this healthy Provolone Chicken Sandwich recipe that won’t bust your diet.
This healthy recipe is full of palate-pleasing flavor thanks to roasted red peppers and juicy, cooked chicken. And don’t feel restricted by the recipe for this open-faced chicken sandwich. Change it up by using grilled, poached, rotisserie or baked chicken instead of pan cooked. And if you prefer Monterey Jack, use that instead!
Helpful hint: Try eating this sandwich with a knife and fork if the strands of cheese make eating a little messy.
Lose weight and get healthy with fully-prepared meals delivered right to your door! Learn more about the South Beach Diet program >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 2 Protein
- 1 Good Carbohydrates
- 1 Extras
- 4 (6-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 1 large garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 whole roasted bell pepper (from a jar), cut into 4 pieces
- 4 (3/4-oz.) slices provolone or Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to broil.
- Lightly pound each chicken breast to an even thickness and season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tsp. of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Sear the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Lay bread slices on a baking sheet, drizzle with remaining oil and rub with the cut sides of the garlic clove; discard garlic. Place under the broiler until toasted, about 1 minute.
- Top each bread slice with 1 pepper piece, 1 chicken breast and 1 cheese slice. Broil until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes. Serve hot.