Apple and Almond SouffleRecipe posted in: Snack
When it comes to dessert, we think there’s nothing better than a souffle. Souffles are light and fluffy and typically packed with flavor, making them the perfect treat for sweet-lovers and waist-watchers alike.
This Apple and Almond Souffle, which features delicious apples and heart-healthy almonds, is just as nutritious as it is delicious.
Can’t satiate that sweet tooth, try these Sweet Treat South Beach Sampler Packs >
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
- 0.5 Protein
- 1 Fruit
- 3 medium baking apples, peeled, cored, and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the apples and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Stir in the sugar substitute and almond extract. Remove from heat and place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. (Place a hot pad underneath the pot in the refrigerator.)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula, gently fold into the cooled apple mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart souffle dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the souffle is puffed and browned. Sprinkle with the almonds before serving, if using. Serve warm.