Almond RiceRecipe posted in: Snack
Add flavor to your plate with a recipe for Almond Rice that’ll make your mouth water. Using brown rice makes this side a healthier, more complex dish while the lightly toasted and sliced almonds contribute healthy fats. Each crunch opens your eyes to a world of enjoyment that could steal the spotlight from the chicken, vegetables or fish paired with it. Eating healthy should be fun and this Almond Rice is just another example that it can be. Bring it along with you to a picnic or barbecue, if you feel like sharing. Warm or cold, drizzled with olive oil or fresh lemon… it’s a wonderful starting point for the creative cook inside.
Phase: Weight Maintenance Phase
Servings: 4 (3/4 cup) servings
- 1 Healthy Fat
- 1 Good Carbohydrates
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 cup whole grain, quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth or lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven or toaster oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, cover and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice and stir until well coated. Add broth and water, bring to a simmer, cover and cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, spread almonds on a baking tray. Bake until lightly browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Stir almonds into rice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add parsley just before serving.