Fresh summer squash gets a delicious (and cheesy!) makeover with this two-step recipe. Whip up this Cheesy Summer Squash to pack in the nutrition with bursts of flavor from squash, garlic and Asiago cheese.
Cooked to tender perfection on the stove top and sprinkled with walnuts for an extra crunch, this Cheesy Summer Squash will become a favorite addition to any meal.
Phase: Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3
- 0.5 Healthy Fat
- 0.5 Vegetables
- 2 tsp. trans-free margarine
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3" strips
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 3" spears
- 2 Tbsp. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese
- Melt the margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until soft.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash, broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 6 minutes, or until the zucchini and squash are tender. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with the walnuts and cheese.