Week 1 on the South Beach Diet: What Do I Eat and When?Article posted in: South Beach Living
You did it. You signed up for South Beach and made the decision to get in the best shape of your life! You’re now among the 11 million people who chose the South Beach Diet to lose weight fast and improve their health—and that’s something to be very excited about! Now, you may be asking, “What do I eat and when?”
Whether you’re familiar with the South Beach principles or are brand new to the program, this guide will help you get grounded and ready for your life-changing first week of weight loss and answer your question, “What do I eat?” So let’s get to it!
Your first shipment will contain just about everything you need for week one. As you unpack the box and start to get organized, find the entrées that are labeled for Phase 1 (look for the light blue stripe on the packaging) and get familiar with what you’ll be eating in the first seven days. Find your Dark Chocolate Nut Bars and South Beach Simply Fit shakes; you’ll want to store those somewhere that will be easy to grab and go each day. Grab your Getting Started Guide for Phase 1, too, and after you read through it, open it up and hang the meal plan up on your fridge—this is a great way to stay on track throughout the first week. Simply cross off each meal as you eat it each day!
Week 1 Overview: What Do I Eat?
Now on to the good stuff. Here’s what you’ll be doing in the first week!
- Each day, you’ll enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner and three snacks. Most
days you’ll be eating your South Beach Phase 1 meals for breakfast, lunch
and dinner. Look for the light blue Phase 1 label! You may also enjoy
South Beach Phase 1 snacks and shakes. Check the back of the package
to determine how it fits into your meal plan.
- This week, you’ll also make six DIY meals: Two breakfasts, two lunches
and two dinners—be sure to eat these throughout the week, not all on the
same day! Learn how to create DIY meals here >
- You’ll include fresh grocery items to make snacks and side dishes that
deliver lean proteins, healthy fats and fresh vegetables. Check out the
South Beach Diet Grocery Guide to learn more >
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water each day and avoid alcoholic beverages during your first week. To make sure you’re getting in your water each day, we’ve got three simple tips:
- Fill a reusable water bottle and keep it nearby at all times. Simply having it within reach is a great reminder to drink more often.
- Mark your bottle with lines on the side—make it a goal to drink a certain amount by 10 a.m., noon, 5 p.m., etc. Set the times based on what works best for your schedule and try to beat your goal at every mark!
- Set an hourly timer on your phone or a reminder on your calendar. Each time you hear the beep, take a sip.
- Keep activity to a minimum in the first week as our body adjusts to your new way of eating. Start with light activity, like walking for 10 minutes, up to three times a day. You’ll gradually add in more activity once you hit Phase 2.
- Use your Getting Started Guide as a tracker to check off our meals, snacks, water and activity throughout the day.
What’s a Non-Starchy Vegetable, Anyway?
Before your first week begins, take a minute to familiarize yourself with the non-starchy vegetables that are approved for Phase 1. Pick out some of your favorites and stock up ahead of time so it’s easy to get in your five servings each day.
Here are a few popular non-starchy veggies to choose from. See our complete cheat sheet for more ideas! >
- Bell peppers
- Spaghetti squash
One serving is equal to one cup raw or one-half cup cooked.
While we recommend five servings a day, non-starchy vegetables are unlimited on the South Beach Diet, so if you’d like to include more in your meal plan, go right ahead! They make a great snack and help keep you full throughout the day.
Don’t forget: In Phase 1, you’ll avoid starchy vegetables, like carrots, green peas, corn, potatoes and sweet potatoes. These will be gradually added back to your meal plan in Phase 2!
Want to spice things up? Check out 7 veggie recipes you need to try in Phase 1! >
Your Week 1 Meal Plan
Ready to see how it all comes together and finally figure out the answer to “What do I eat and when?” Here’s an idea of what your daily meal plan will look like in Phase 1:
Breakfast: South Beach breakfast entrée
Morning snack: South Beach Simply Fit Shake + one serving of non-starchy vegetables
Lunch: South Beach lunch entrée + two servings of non-starchy vegetables
Afternoon snack: 1 Tbsp. almond butter + 1 cup celery sticks
Dinner: South Beach dinner entrée + two servings of non-starchy vegetables
And now, for a taste of what’s on the menu in Phase 1, check out what your first two days might look like:
The first week of South Beach is high in lean protein, low in added sugars and has plenty of veggies and heart-healthy fats to fill you up. Eating this way will reset your body to start burning fat—your fat—for fuel, delivering fast weight loss without hunger. So get ready to see results right from the start—you’re about to get in the best shape of your life!